Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Soda Shop Cupcakes

Nothing screams 50's Soda Shops flavors like Purple Cow, Limeade, and Orange Dream drinks. So I thought to take a little twist on things, why not make them into cupcakes.  I used the same recipe that I found off of Annies Eats for her Coca Cola cupcakes found HERE, and then I adapted my recipes from her original one.  Here it what was done differently...

Soda Shop Cupcakes

Yields:10-12 Cupcakes
Ingredients:
For the Cupcakes:
2 C. All Purpose Flour ( I used Cake Flour)
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
3/4 C. Sugar
8 T. Unsalted Butter at room temperature
1 Large Egg
1/2 C. Buttermilk
3/4 C. Soda Pop
2 tsp. Flavoring (Grape, Orange or 1 Lime juiced)
2 tsp. Vanilla (I used Clear Mexican Vanilla)
1 tsp. Food Coloring

For the Frosting:
2/3 C. Heavy Cream
3-4 T. of Powdered Sugar



Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350° F.  Line  a muffin pan with foil or paper liners.  In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt.  Stir together and set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugar and butter.  Mix on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.   Mix in the egg until incorporated.   In a bowl or large measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, Soda Pop, flavoring, and vanilla extract; stir to combine.  (This mixture may look disgusting and/or curdled – it’s okay!)


Mix the dry ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture on low speed, alternately with the liquid ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing just until incorporated.  Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


To make the whipped cream topping, add the heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.  Begin whipping on medium speed, slowly adding the confectioners’ sugar and gradually increasing the speed to high as the cream holds soft peaks.  Whip until the cream holds stiff peaks, being careful not to overbeat.  Spoon or pipe the whipped cream on top of the cupcakes and add whatever garnish you want.  I added straws when I first made this recipe, but at the party you will notice that i did fondant on the Purple cow, Limes on the Limeade, and orange swirls on the Orange Cream.  
Purple Cows I used a grape soda pop and grape extract.  You will have to go to a speciality store to get that, I actually used extract for candy and they turned out tasting just like a purple cow.

Limeade I used one fresh lime and Key Lime Soda Pop.  You can also use sprite and two limes if you cant find a lime soda.


Orange Cream I used an Orange extract and Orange Dream Soda pop.  


To View Soda Shop Cupcake Party click HERE!


Picked up by Cupcakes Take the Cake, which you can view HERE!

9 comments:

  1. these were are yummy as they are adorable

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! Can't wait for your post of Tyler's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! These look amazing, found you via Cupcakes Take The Cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this I need to try this out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry this post is a little funky, i tried to fix the recipe and Blogger went nuts and wont let me fix the font now. Ill try to fix it tomorrow, but the recipe is all there so no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for all the new comments and all my new Followers!!! I'm excited! The party that I featured these in should be up no latter then Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so pretty! I must try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fantastic! (I have been to Girl's Camp so been MIA for a while!) Which one was your favorite? I would love a bite of each one. I have a new addiction - Sweet Tooth Fairy sugar cookies - over by Five Guys and Wings. We were going down to the Provo one by K Mart and Sams but they opened today. I have to figure out how to make my own - super moist sugar cookie - thick and with almond flavored frosting. We always put almond in our sugar cookie's frosting. Love theirs! Do you have a great sugar cookie recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made the grape. I think two eggs would've been better than one. They're tasty, but dense and didn't rise well. Still a good formula!

    ReplyDelete